Marijuana's affect on surgery

Therealstacy
on 5/25/22 6:07 pm

Marijuana is legal in my state. It has thank God helped cured my insomnia and depression.

Now I'm considering bariatric surgery. Will I have to permanently stop vaping before the surgery? Or will it totally disqualify me? I read that it can cause the need for more sedation during surgery.

White Dove
on 5/26/22 8:49 am - Warren, OH

Something you need to discuss with the surgeon

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TJFox
on 5/27/22 5:31 am

I would definitely talk to the surgeon and team you consult with.

ladygodiva1228
on 5/31/22 6:55 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Like others said call your surgeon.

I would venture to guess you will have to stop at least 30 days prior or more so the THC is out of your system. Some surgeons are picky and if you are a known Marijuana user they will not perform surgery. Plus vaping or smoking anything slows the healing process down and it can cause ulcers after the surgery. If I were you I would look at edibles instead of the vaping.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Therealstacy
on 5/31/22 7:27 am

Hi, thank you for your response. I figured the wait time was something like 30 days. Luckly, I've already stopped!

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/22 8:52 am

You definetly need to discuss this topic with your doctor.

TrudeMudeni
on 12/13/22 8:11 am

It needs to be talked over with the doctor. There's still a lack of data on cannabis, and they might not be sure whether it's right for you. You will probably have to experiment and see how well it works.

GraysonRobertson
on 3/23/23 6:04 pm, edited 4/3/23 8:32 am

I realize my answer is rather late, but I'd like to share my thoughts. I'm glad marijuana has helped you with your insomnia and depression. As for your question, it's best to consult with your surgeon or healthcare provider to get a definitive answer. However, you may need to stop vaping temporarily before the surgery to minimize any potential risks or complications. Also, I'd like to share that recently, I stumbled upon the highest quality CBD I've ever come across - Spruce's 750 mg Lab Grade CBD. It's derived from a 210-year-old hemp variety, and let me tell you, it packs a seriou*****h when it comes to performance and benefits. I've noticed a significant improvement in my overall well-being since incorporating this CBD into my daily routine.

MargarenTravcins
on 3/15/24 4:53 am, edited 3/17/24 9:34 pm

While there's limited research on the exact effects of marijuana on surgery, some studies suggest it may impact anesthesia requirements. Your surgeon will likely want to ensure the safest possible procedure, so they may advise temporarily stopping marijuana use before surgery. As for disqualification, it's unlikely unless there are specific concerns about your overall health. If you're still looking for info, I'd recommend discussing it further with your medical team to get personalized advice. Additionally, if you're interested, exploring medical cannabis uk might be worth considering for managing your conditions in a potentially safer way.

Most Active